Here are some useful links for exploring recipes, from finding them in the archives, to decoding their secrets. We have included a Zotero online bibliography which makes the sources easily searchable. You can browse the entire library, or choose one of the many folders and browse specific locations, libraries, archives, or authored by our contributors. Please join our Zotero group and contribute your own sources.
Please also follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
Finding manuscript recipe collections
- Brotherton Library, University of Leeds ‘Manuscript Verse Index’
- National Library of Scotland, Manuscript Archives
- Royal College of Surgeons, ‘Deposited Collection’
- University of Glasgow Library, Medical Manuscripts
- Wellcome Library, ‘Recipe Books’
Databases, Webpages and Blogs
- Italian Books of Secrets Database
- The Royal College of Physicians website Resources Archives Page: Contains a useful overview of domestic medicine. See also the RCP catalogue of manuscript collections.
- National Maritime Museum: Pages on humoural medicine and a good overview of treatment and practice.
- Early Modern Hub: a fantastic resource for all areas of early modern life, including medicine.
- British Library: Books for Cooks
- Past Exhibitions at the Folger Shakespeare Library
- The Collation A gathering for scholarship from the Folger Shakespeare Library
- Oxford English Dictionary Online
- Eighteenth-Century Recipes Remedies, Recipes, and Domestic Life
- The Sloane Letters Blog Sir Hans Sloane’s Correspondence Online
- Concoctinghistory Ancient Recipes for the Modern Kitchen
- Dr. Alun Withey Historian of Medicine and the Body
- Verso The Blog of the Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens
2 thoughts on “Additional Resources”
Does the team of scholars have any references to Zoroastrian texts of medicines, recipes used throughout their history? All sources would be greatly appreciated.
Hi everybody, I am searching and researching in the theme of medieval chinese feasts and banquets. Is anybody perhaps in the possess of any source or knowledge in the subject? Especially regarding food, dishes, recipies, menu etc. or just about gatherings or these kinds of stories and history…